Camping isn’t about roughing it for the sake of roughing it. If you’re a technologically savvy camper or someone who enjoys a good Netflix movie in the middle of a quiet camping night, you probably are looking for ways to enjoy the Great Outdoors while still enjoying all of the technological amenities which make your life that much easier/better.
That’s where the best power inverters for camping come in! These top-quality vehicle power converters switch DC power off a car battery to eminently useful AC power, allowing campers to power everything from laptops to hair dryers with ease!
Do you want to power a coffee maker for a morning boost? Are you a nature photographer who needs a fully-charged digital camera to capture all the sights and sounds of your own personal camping nirvana? The right power inverter will do all of that for you and much more!
We’re here to help you sift through the dozens of options in the marketplace with our in-depth list of The 5 Best Power Inverters For Camping. We’ll also answer some frequently asked questions to ensure you have all the information you need to make a smart purchasing decision.
But first, let’s start with the list!
The 5 Best Power Inverters For Camping
1) Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 160
- Founded in California in 2012, Jackery specializes in providing outdoor green power solutions for explorers. Jackery portable power station, power outdoors.
- QUIET GENERATOR& ECO-FRIENDLY CLEAN POWER: Jackery Explorer 160 is equipped with a 167 watt-hour (46,400mah/3.6V) lithium-ion battery pack, no fuel or gasoline...
- OUTDOOR CAMPING BATTERY: Portable power station special designed for charging phones, tablets, laptops, gopro and other smaller electronics. Explorer 160...
- SOLAR READY RECHARGING: pairs well with Jackery Solar Saga 60W/100W (sold separately), easily get recharged with efficient solar panel. Built-in led flashlight...
What makes it special?
Our ultimate pick for those looking to power laptops or smartphones with a quality pure sine wave power inverter, the Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 160 is the epitome of quality construction. Complete with multiple recharging options and one of the quietest generators we’ve tested, this power station is as reliable and efficient as they come at fully charging low-powered devices.
Features 1 AC outlet (100W, 150W peak), 1 USB-C port, 2 USB-A ports, and a standard DC 12V port for versatile and multifaceted usage.
Can act as a dedicated car power (110V outlet) inverter while plugged in, which is something that most portable power banks like this cannot claim.
Specially calibrated to offer fast charges for most laptops, smartphones, and tablets. You’ll get a quick charge without draining much of the inverter’s battery at all.
Extremely limited wattage output cuts into the amount of devices this inverter can service. Most household appliances are not serviceable by this device.
The center conductor within the cigarette dongle unit is a bit too small. You may have to repeatedly push a cigarette plug into it to keep contact with the unit.
2) FlashFish 200W Portable Power Station
- Multiple Charging Outputs Provide More Options: Features with AC/ DC/ USB OUTPUTS: 110 AC output (200W), 2 DC output, 2 QC 3.0 quick charge USB port and 1 USB...
- High Performance And Handy Power Source: 151Wh (40800mAh) compact station is powerful enough to meet different kinds of electricity demands outdoor usage for...
- Other Unique Design: 1)The standalone AC/DC provides easy operation when charging different devices;2)Mutifuction LCD display would show you the remaining...
- Triple Rechargeable Modes Efficient Solar Generator: FlashFish power station is equipped with a lithium battery pack, it can be charged by the 15-24 volt solar...
What makes it special?
The FlashFish 200W Portable Power Station is our pick for the best budget option on our list of the top power inverters for camping. However, its fair price point belies its power and versatility! With a wide variety of output options, multi-functional LCD display, and three different recharge modes (solar, AC wall, and car charger), this little powerhouse is the perfect power supply for everything from phones to CPAP machines.
Comes with an impressive array of output options – 1 200-watt AC outlet, 2 DC output ports, 2 3.0 quick charge USB ports, and 1 2.4A USB port.
Multiple recharging options are quick and efficient. No matter which option you choose, you won’t have to worry about the unit’s battery capacity being reduced.
Multiple overheating and overtaxing safeguards backed up by 12-month warranty. Simply put, this is a safe investment at a reasonable cost.
Device doesn’t come with an overcharging safeguard. Pay attention to the battery monitor on the LCD display or risk damaging the unit through overcharging it.
Low wattage output makes this a non-starter for appliances with a requirement of over 200 watts output.
3) AIPER Portable Power Station
- 【Large Capacity Battery Power】: Comparing to 42000mAh items, Aiper Smart 45000mAh 167Wh portable power station provides larger power capacity, that means it...
- 【Multifunctional Outputs】: Aiper Smart portable power station features in variety of outputs, 2 x AC outlet(110V max 150W, peak power 200W ), charges or...
- 【Portable & Three Input Modes】: It weighs only 3.52lbs and the compact appearance design makes it a great travel companion for outdoors enthusiasts. Three...
- 【Completely Safe & Very Quiet】: Built-in battery management system, short-circuit protection, over-current protection, over-power protection, low-voltage...
What makes it special?
For those looking to charge low-powered devices such as smartphones and tablets multiple times on one inverter charge, the AIPER Portable Power Station is just right. Fully powered, this 45000mAh 167 Wh portable generator can fully charge the newest iPhone or Android smartphone on the market 20 straight times before needed to be plugged in again. Couple that with an array of output options and this is a must-buy for any technologically savvy camper.
With two AC outlets, three DC ports, and two USB ports to its credit, this portable power bank can service nearly any low-powered device or gadget you can think of.
Weighs just 3.52 pounds for easy portability. It won’t be a nuisance to carry from your vehicle to your campsite.
Combines multiple safeguards with one of the quietest operations we’ve seen from the power inverters we’ve tested. You’ll get effective charging without worry or irritating hums from a noisy/faulty fan.
Limited wattage output means that most medium-powered and high-powered appliances can’t be serviced by this power bank.
Can be finicky about fully charging devices when it’s close to low battery. Pay attention to this and use the company’s 12-month worry free warranty if it becomes an issue.
4) GrantMaya Portable AC Power Bank
- 🌟POWERFUL BATTERY PACKS: 220Wh/64,800mAh High Quality Lithium Batteries, 300Watts Pure SineWave AC Output. *Support 4x 5V/3.1A(Max) USB outputs for...
- 🌟EASILY RECHARGEABLE: You can plug it into any 110V-120V AC wall outlet (Full charged time: 7-8 hours) or car cigarette lighter (⚠Note:The 15v DC input of...
- 🌟SAFETY GUARANTEED: We use the Battery Management System (BMS) to improve battery utilization, Short-circuit protection, Over-current protection,...
- 🌟COMPACT & PORTABLE: Super slim size (7.88 x 7.88 x 3.1 inches) and lightweight (2.3Kg).The portable power bank is not only for emergency backup power at...
What makes it special?
If you’re looking for a pure sine wave power inverter with multiple options for recharging, you won’t find a better option than the GrantMaya Portable AC Power Bank. Rather than connecting this directly to a car battery, you can charge it completely by plugging it into an AC outlet for seven to eight hours. You can also charge it with a car cigarette lighter or with the help of solar panels. It’s not the most wattage output you’re going to find, but the ease of use makes this a must inclusion on our list!
Features two AC outlets and four 3.1A USB outlets. It’s a dream power bank for charging multiple smartphones at one time!
Variety of recharging options made even more impressive by the unit’s portability. You can take this little powerhouse anywhere and it won’t take up much pack space.
Battery Management System (BMS) offers a variety of different safeguards to ensure the health of the inverter itself while protecting your devices from harm.
Limited wattage output makes this a no-go for high-powered devices which require 350 watts or more of juice.
You’ll notice a drop-off in charging speed if you attempt to charge more than two smartphones at one time.
5) Ampeak 1000W Power Inverter
- ▶ 1000W High Power Inverter ◀ - Provides 1000W continuous DC to AC power output, up to 2000W surge capacity, converts 12V DC battery power to standard 110V...
- ▶ Widely Application ◀ - 2 AC outlets and 2.1A USB port deliver 1000W continuous power, ideal for gift, cell-phone, laptop, electric light, digital camera,...
- ▶ Advanced Safety Protection ◀ - Smart Digital Display & Cooling Fan & Audible Alarm & LED Indicator & Built-in 5 x 25A Mini Slip Fuse to protect against...
- ▶ Home or Outdoor Using ◀ - Just need a 12V battery system to connect with it to power your device for Emergency, Hurricane, Storm, Snowstorm, and Outage
What makes it special?
One of the most intuitive modified sine wave power inverters ever produced, the Ampeak 1000W Power Inverter augments its 1000 watts of continuous DC to AC power with an easy-to-read digital display which shows you what power is coming in, going out, and any potential fault codes for quick resolution.
Comes complete with two AC outlets and a 2.1A USB port to power a wide swath of different devices in efficient fashion.
Features some of the most effective safeguards of any power inverter we’ve tested. The cooling fan is powerful, and the audible alarm/mini slip fuse combo ensure you’re charging your devices with utmost safety.
Comes with an 18-month warranty which promises replacement with no questions asked!
Wires provided to connect to a car battery are just 18 inches long. You’ll either have to find a place to mount the inverter under your hood or purchase longer cables.
Not ideal for powering multiple high-powered devices at one time. Check the wattage of your appliances before using outlets concurrently.
What features should I look for in the best power inverters for camping?
The best power inverters for camping has a few key facets which are common across the board. If you’re about to purchase a power inverter for regular usage on your outdoors adventures, make sure you pay attention to the following things when reading up on a product:
The number of outlets – Some power inverters come with just a single AC power outlet. Others come with multiple power outlets and other essential goodies like USB outlets. If you want to power multiple peripherals and appliances at once, you’ll need an inverter which fits the latter designation.
Wattage capacity – Power inverters are sold in a wide range of different wattage capacities. Those with capacities under 500-1000 watts are better for lower-powered devices with limited power needs. If you’re going to be running multiple high-capacity appliances at once, look for a power inverter with a wattage capacity in the thousands.
Overload and temperature protections – This is a big one. If you fall asleep and forget to disconnect your power inverter, the best power inverters for camping have safeguards which will shut the inverter down when temperatures get to high or its power supply becomes overtaxed.
Sine wave type – We’ll go into the difference between modified sine wave and pure sine wave power inverters in just a second. Some techies swear by pure sine wave power inverters as the only quality choice, but that’s not necessarily the case. It’s all based upon need and what you’ll be charging.
Is a pure sine wave power inverter really necessary for most household electronics?
While pure sine wave power inverters are a better inverter option for sensitive electronics and household appliances, they’re overkill for most things you’ll be taking along for a camping trip.
In short, modified sine wave power inverters are nearly (or just) as effective for what you’ll likely need and they’re much less expensive than pure sine wave power inverters.
Campers on a budget should stick with modified sine wave power inverters unless you’ve got something like a laptop with a faulty power supply which could blow out if charged incorrectly.
How can I determine what wattage capacity I need out of a power inverter?
What are the appliances and peripherals you’re going to be charging most? A normal laptop only requires about 75 to 100 watts of capacity while charging, but there are some appliances like blenders or hair dryers which requires hundreds of watts on even their lowest settings.
Look at the wattage needs of your appliances and then the amount of outlets on the particular power inverter you’re interested in. Calculate what you think will be your maximum wattage usage at one time and then find a power inverter which has a capacity just a bit larger than that.
You can never be too safe, especially if you’re using the inverter to charge communication devices such as phones and tablets in case of an emergency.
The five power inverters on our above list are the pinnacle of power and versatility among all options currently available in the marketplace.
If you want a stable power supply that won’t quit on you on even the longest of camping trips, you won’t do any better than our spotlight picks for the best power inverters for camping. Purchase one as soon as you can and you’ll have access to your favorite (and most essential) gadgets at all times.