The sound of a generator can be annoying and distracting while you are camping. As someone who loves to camp, I know how frustrating it is when you have to deal with loud generators all night long. Luckily there are many steps that you can take to keep your generator quiet for camping!
Another reason to keep your generator quiet is so that you can really enjoy the outdoors unimpeded by a noisy generator or fan.
Ideas on how to make your generator quieter while camping
– Purchase a Generator That Fits Your Needs: The first step in how to keep your generator quiet for camping is to purchase the right size of generator. Large generators are louder than smaller ones so if you don’t need that much power, buy a small one!
– Face The Exhaust Pipes Up or Away From You: It’s also important to face your exhaust pipes up towards the sky or away from you. This way it won’t be blowing any smoke on anyone and will add less noise overall.
– Move Your Generator Further Away: Moving your generator further away can reduce noise as well because then there is more distance between people staying nearby and yourself.
– Reduce Vibration Noise By Placing The Generator On a Soft Surface: If you can, place the generator on a fluffy surface like sand or an old blanket to reduce noise.
– Use Sound Deflectors To Quiet Your Generator: This is often overlooked but sound deflectors are inexpensive and will help focus the exhaust away from nearby people. They’re easy to make out of material that just needs to be shaped into cones for more directional airflow!
– Build An Acoustic Enclosure or Baffle Box: Lastly, if all else fails build your own acoustic enclosure around your generator with big pieces of fabric and lots of foam insulation. This should dampen any air flow which in turn reduces noise!
Some more tips
- Keep the generator in a well ventilated area
- Place the generator on a solid surface, like concrete or gravel
- Put some distance between you and the generator by using an extension cord to move it further away from your campsite
- Use generators with noise reduction technology
- Turn off any lights that are near the generator to keep them from attracting bugs
- Keep windows closed while running the generator to prevent outside sounds from interfering with its operation and making it louder than necessary